World Photography Day 2021
World Photography Day is a day for people across the globe to celebrate photography, no matter their level of photographic experience and no matter their location. Although we come from different cultures and speak different languages, we can communicate through photography – a medium that requires no words to understand. People in all countries, at all levels of photography, can join in with the celebration of photography.
World Photography Day 2021 takes place this year on 19th August 2021. If you’re wondering about the best activities and events to celebrate World Photography Day all over the world, we’ve got you covered. In this article we will discuss:
- World photography events 2021
- World photography day activities
World Photography Day events 2021
Here are some events in the UK for keen photographers to snap up.
- If you love the idea of a One to One Photowalk around the City of London, with advice given on camera settings and seeing images in this fascinating area, this event is perfect for you and takes place on September 1st.
- For amateur photographers looking to tour a scenic area of London while receiving guidance from an experienced professional, One to One Photography photo walk around Historic Greenwich on 20th August for £129.
- For those interested in creative photography, you can go on an interactive creative photography course in the heart of London on 21st August.
- If you’re in Scotland and looking for an exhibition, the ‘Our World 2020’ Exhibition is going to be held at The Barracks, Stirling on 19th August. The exhibition photographs are entries to a film photography competition sponsored by Kodak, recording life in lockdown in 2020.
- If you’re interested in DSLR photography, celebrity photographer Petro Onysko is hosting an online event teaching how to take great DSLR photographs on 20th August.
World Photography Day activities
Here are some fun and exciting ways to enjoy photography on World Photography Day.
Enter a photography competition
Why not put your skills to the test and see how you fare in a photography contest! You can enter the Sony World Photography Awards competition now, for free. There are four different competitions you can enter – the Youth Competition, the Student Competition, the Professional Competition, and the Open Competition.
If iPhone photography is your niche, you can enter the IPPA Awards 2022 as the deadline for entries is March 31, 2022.
Watch a photography documentary
There are many great documentaries on the subject of photography to watch:
- The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman’s Portrait Photography (2016) is a profile of the celebrated portrait photographer Elsa Dorfman, whose friends and subjects include Allen Ginsberg and Bob Dylan. (Available to watch on Netflix).
- Tales by Light (2015) is a peek behind the curtain of talented Australian and North American photographers to see exactly what goes into capturing a powerful image (Available to watch on Netflix.)
- Our Planet – Behind the Scenes (2019) (Available to watch on Netflix).
- Finding Vivian Maier (2013) is an examination of the life and career of the nanny Vivian Maier and her extraordinary collections of 100,000 photographs. (Available to watch on Prime Video).
- Watch Born into Brothels (2004) to see how children documented their lives in one of the poorest cities in India.
- Watch Manufactured Landscapes (2006) for a look at the gritty reality behind industrial landscapes.
Binge watch The Great British Photography Challenge
The Great British Photography Challenge is a show where six talented amateur photographers spend several weeks travelling the United Kingdom and competing in a series of photography challenges to see who will emerge as the winner of the Great British Photography Challenge. The episodes are currently available to watch on BBC iPlayer.
Start a photography blog
Writing a photography blog can be a great way to share your knowledge and passion for photography with others. It can also be a great platform for sharing your work, and even getting your name out to the public as a photographer.
Try instant film photography
If you haven’t experimented with an instant camera yet, now is the perfect time to try! Instant film photography is an art of its own, and photographers who haven’t tried it out yet will love mastering this skill.
Offer to take portraits of your friends
What better way to get better as a photographer than to practice? It can be great for you to get some more photography experience, but you can also share your gift with others by giving them your portraits. Not only will everyone take something practical away from the experience, but you can build memories with your friends by spending time together.
Hire a photographer
Why not reverse roles and have photos taken of you? Being in front of the camera and starring in your photographs can be an enjoyable activity.
We hope you enjoyed reading our activities and events for World Photography Day 2021!
If you’re interested in hiring a photographer for World Photography Day, book with Splento. With Splento you can hire an experienced, reliable, on-demand photographer at an affordable rate. Get in touch today to discuss getting a photographer.
Contact Splento if you are in need of: