Although life has slowed down in many ways in recent weeks, it continues in many others.
If you need a new headshot or portrait photo, (and we know that many of you do, because you have been telling us) then Splento wants to help.
It may be for a résumé, job application, for your social media profile or anything else. Below, we have listed below a few tips to help you make the most of the photo.
And the best bit? Upload it to Splento and we will retouch it for you for free (see below).
So don’t settle for a selfie. Try it now – put your best face forward and create the self-portrait you deserve.
Top tips for self-portrait photos
1. Lighting is everything for a portrait photo. Maximise the light that falls on your face and, wherever possible, use natural window light as opposed to artificial.
2. Take time to experiment and find your best angle. Whether using a phone, laptop or even a digital camera, the lens needs to be at your eye level. Higher or lower will create distortions and your face will not ‘look like you’.
3. Think about your background. Your environment is a part of your individuality and reflects your personality, so choose carefully. You can keep it simple with a plain background (often the best option) or express yourself a little – highlight your love of reading by shooting yourself next to your bookshelves. Just make sure the background is not so busy that it distracts from you!
If you want to go the extra mile – remember that ‘jewel tones’ work best for portraits and headshots. Choose richly saturated hues named after gems, such as sapphire blue, ruby red, amethyst purple, citrine yellow or emerald green.
4. Dress code is also important to plan. Keep it simple. Ideally, choose a simple white or black top or t-shirt and at all costs avoid patterns, logos and images. Accessorise as you wish.
5. For taking the photograph, keep the lens at eye level by using anything at hand to prop up your camera/phone, so long as it keeps it steady. To avoid camera wobble, use a timer if possible, rather than have someone taking the shot. Set it up, step back and smile!
6. Crop the image to a 1:1 square ratio.
7. Upload your image to Splento for free professional editing! Simply use this link to our portrait photo upload page and let us do our magic!
We will retouch your photo and have it ready for you within 24 hours.
Any questions? Follow the link for more details and some great example shots.