If you are interested in using the Magento marketplace, look no further. For new vendors who are inexperienced with product photography, we are breaking down everything from the benefits of the Magento eCommerce marketplace to your essential product photography kit for Magento product photography.
We will discuss the following topics:
- What is Magneto marketplace?
- The benefits of Magento marketplace
- What is eCommerce product photography?
- Product photography tips for Magneto
- Why professional product photography is important
What is the Magento marketplace?
Magento marketplace is an eCommerce platform using revolutionary open-source technology that delivers a flexible shopping cart system and offers vendors control over the look, content, and functionality of their online store. Magento also provides powerful marketing, inbuilt SEO, and catalogue-management tools. One of the best offerings of the Magneto marketplace is a range of plug-ins and themes which can effortlessly enhance your online customer’s experience.
Benefits of the Magento marketplace
Here are some of the benefits of Magento marketplace:
- Easy to install and add additional layouts and plug-ins
- Open source technology that offers flexible, scalable eCommerce solutions
- Effective and cost sensitive program
- Allows for various discounts and promotions during check-out
- Provides more than 50 payment gateways
What is eCommerce product photography?
eCommerce product photography is product photography where the photographs are taken specifically for an eCommerce site. These are usually taken with the product against a white background. However, other kinds of product photography, such as lifestyle images, can be taken for additional photographs as there is usually an allowance for multiple photograph-uploads in as well as the main product photograph which appears when the user searches your store. On the Magento marketplace, you can upload multiple images for each product, rearrange the order of images, and control how each image is used.
Product photography tips for Magento
While we believe that professional product photography will significantly increase your conversion rate, it is possible to do acceptable Magento product photography yourself. Making your product photography set up at home is reasonably straightforward. For your product photography setup you will need a product photography kit comprising of the following equipment:
- A camera: For product photography, you do not need to invest in an expensive DSLR camera when a point-and-shoot digital camera will take sufficient photos. The camera is just one part of the photography – having the right background and lighting are equally as important.
- A tripod: We would recommend having a tripod for your product photography as it will allow you to execute the photo perfectly as you can achieve the right height and angle with precision. Especially if you are shooting using slow shutter speeds, it is mandatory to use a tripod to reduce motion blur.
- A sweep: A sweep or white paper background is necessary for your product photo. You can find these at an inexpensive price online. You should place it on a table so it curves up behind your product against a wall, making a seamless backdrop for your product.
- Tape: Use tape to secure your sweep to the wall during your session. You should use painter’s tape or poster tape to avoid damaging your walls.
- Lighting: If you’re not using professional lighting such as strobe lights or a softbox, make sure you take your photo in a room with plenty of light; preferably by a window. Alternatively, Amazon sells a relatively affordable ‘photo studio’, a lightbox designed for product photography.
- White bounce cards: A white bounce card made of foam board is essentially a cheap reflector – the white card reflects the light onto your product to reduce shadows and keep the image bright which is essential for product photography.
Why professional product photography is important
If you are selling your products on the Magento marketplace, and you don’t have much experience with product photography, we would recommend hiring a professional product photographer. With product photography for the marketplace, the photography can make or break a sale for the online consumer. Data suggests that 75% of consumers rely on photographs when making an online purchase.
What is the solution for your conversion rate? Professional product photography will increase your sales. While it is possible to take an adequate photograph for your eCommerce site, it is difficult for inexperienced photographers to make a product look spectacular.
Professional product photographers make your product stand out
It is easy to underestimate the skill and techniques that photographers possess. Developed through years of professional experience, photographers have an extensive understanding of the compositional elements that make up a photograph: line, shape, form, texture, pattern, colour, space, and lighting. It is difficult for beginners to achieve the right balance of such elements. Professional photographers all have a sixth sense for making a product look good – they have a formal understanding of photography, but also a keen artistic eye that is invaluable to product photography. A professional product photographer can highlight the USPs and special features of your products, which is difficult for inexperienced photographers to do well.
Product photography is part of your visual branding
Product photography also reflects on your brand. Poor quality product photographs suggest that your product is poor quality and can discourage your potential customers from buying your product. Whereas a high-resolution, well-composed photo shot on a pro-grade camera will incentivise your customers to buy from a brand with a professional, high-quality appearance. Many eCommerce merchants can be put off by the initial costs of product photography, but product photography offers a great ROI. You will not regret investing in professional product photography once you see your conversion rate start to climb.
If you require a professional product photographer, take a look at Splento. Splento will provide you with an affordable, reliable on-demand photographer at a fixed rate, to take care of all your product photography needs. Contact a member of the Splento team who will be happy to answer any questions you have.